April 12, 2011

Life & Death

So, not all my pictures are “beautiful”, but they are still interesting to me.  I like to take pictures of animals.  Most of it is bugs and other “not beautiful” creatures because that is what’s around my house.  Maybe someday I can go back to Hawaii or some other cool place and take pictures of exotic animals. 

IMG_8702
IMG_8705 IMG_8700 IMG_8699
My husband came across this toad and frog skeleton when he was working in the yard.  The toad was still as a rock.  We weren’t sure if he was hibernating or dead or just acting dead.  After getting the pictures I wanted of him I took a stick and prodded him a bit.  I pushed him up from his underside thinking he would jump away or just topple over.  To my amusement the toad didn’t bat a lid or move more than what I pushed him.  He held the pose, as seen in the second picture, ‘til I prodded him some more.  I guess he had enough of my curiosity because he jumped away after I poked him again.
I like comparing the skeletal structures of the dead frog and living toad.  Maybe I’ll go back to school and study more biology…….

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, not exactly "beautiful" in the traditional sense but, as you say, interesting, anyway. Also, in many ways, thought provoking. I love biology and also the very cool, highly sophisticated things not visible to the naked eye in microbiology. There's so much to see and know and learn...and appreciate. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. How strange to find that skeleton and then a frog right next to it. I wonder how long it took the frog to die and be left as bare bones. I think that's interesting too, although I remember almost losing my lunch in 6th grade biology when we were supposed to dissect a big frog. I think I might handle it a little better if I were to do it again now. Maybe the frog you kept prodding didn't move because he was in mourning for his friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you put a link to this blog from your other blog. That's kind of cool you guys have frog skeletons right in your own backyard! Maybe the toad was mourning the loss of a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, aren't you going to post anything else on this blog? I keep checking and I always see that same dead frog. haha

    ReplyDelete